12/18/10

This Isn't Even For You

So, I'm not gonna lie to you anymore. This blog just isn't anywhere near my priority list. But it's not like you guys are missing out on anything anyway. It's like a win-win situation except that there isn't any winning involved.
So Brandon Sanderson, who I might have mentioned is my favorite author of all time, (I even got to meet him! Might talk about it later.) put out a challenge and I have taken it up! This scene I wrote is a snippet from a project that I am currently reworking from its previous status as a fanfic. So here it is.

---

"A self powering spaceship simply cannot exist."

"Uh huh."

"And yet we are flying in one."

"Yep."

"This makes no sense!"

"Sure."

"I am a scientist, and I can tell you that a self powering spaceship is impossible!"

"Of course."

"Are you even listening to me?"

"Uh huh."

"Would you put that newspaper down and look at me!?"

"Hey, look, there's a world where the Chicago Yankees won the Super Bowl."

"What the-? Never mind."

"Look, maybe you're just frustrated about this ship cuz you don't understand how it works."

"It violates several major laws of physics. All scientific reason says that this isn't possible."

"That depends on what kind of science you're talking about."

"There is one kind of science! One set of laws that the universe operates on."

"Isn't that a bit naive considering we're talking about the multiverse? You know, multiple universes and all that?"

"It shouldn't be any different."

"But it is. The way your science works is obviously very different from Eric's. I mean they don't even have guns on his world."

"Guns would work in his world, it's just that they don't have any because they have those - what did he call them?"

"Metaboosts."

"Right, metaboosts. Those operate off of chemicals found in that world, but this - this just...can't!"

"And what about magic? Like me and Emily use?"

"Magic is...strange. I haven't had time to formulate a hypothesis yet."

"Then you should put self powering space ships on that list of not yet determined stuff."

"It's not on the 'list' as you describe it because I'm trying to work on it right now. The best I can determine is that a spaceship like this would have to use a perpetual motion engine. Impossible."

"Maybe it's magic."

"That is...not a possibility I'd considered before. I must think on it."

"While you're at it, can you leave me alone to read in peace?"

"I would, that is, if you weren't sitting on my bed."

"Oh, right."

"If you want to 'read in peace', I'd recommend going onto the bridge. There's lots of chairs there."

"You mean those back breaking torture devices with a lame excuse for a swivel seat?"

"Whatever you want to call them."

"I think I'll stay here."

"Then I should word it more strongly. Get out of my room!"

"What are you, twelve?"

"You keep distracting me. I'm trying to set up my workstation, and for that I need to concentrate. Some of these settings need to be tuned very precisely."

"Isn't your workstation on the bridge?"

"This is for me to work with my chemicals and has little to do with my 'official' role on the bridge."

"Alright, so what do you do here in your room that needs to be so finely calibrated."

"Make crystal meth."

"What!?"

"Relax, I'm kidding. I'm working on my chemicals."

"Uh..."

"You remember that mech we fought?"

"Yeah, pretty hard to remember dropping out of the sky onto a giant robot."

"Some of the abilities it used seemed familiar. I took a closer look and what did I find? A sample of one of my chemicals. I use these to fuel my powers in much the same way the robot did."

"But you're not a robot."

"More than you'd think."

"Wait, so you are a robot?"

"No, but I have cybernetic implants."

"Can I see?"

"No."

"Oh, c'mon!"

"Maybe later. I'm busy right now; this device requires a particularly fine touch."

"Rr!"

"What was that?"

"Just, uh, frustrated."

"No, that was a grunt of pain."

"They're very similar."

"Not in my experience. What's going on?"

"You remember how the fight ended?"

"Of course, it was only yesterday."

"Well, I don't. I wasn't conscious for that part."

"But you were fighting with the rest of us. I remember you had some excellent skill. That transformation skill of yours was remarkable."

"The power comes with some...drawbacks. My entire being is swapped out for the angel figure you saw."

"So that was a completely different person?"

"Yeah, and he's here, in my head. Sometimes they - he - likes to make his presence felt."

"Raw psychic contact can be unpleasant."

"Speaking from experience?"

"A little, yes. You'd be surprised how many powered individuals I run into in my line of work."

"Which is what?"

"Working with these chemicals."

"Right. Because chemists have cybernetic implants."

"I might tell you about it sometime."

"Uh huh. Okay."

"And maybe you'll tell me the truth about what's going on in your head."

"I told you the truth."

"Not the whole truth."

"Whatever you say, mister scientist."

"That's doctor scientist to you."

---

So there you go, Brandon/anyone else reading this post, hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Use the rule of Thumper as applied to writing, "If you can't say anything helpful, don't say anything at all." And if I see ONE "F1R$T!!" I'm going to eviscerate you.
Have a nice day!